Sunday, February 5, 2012

Mystery and Surprise

Mystery is at the heart of creativity. That, and surprise. - Julia Cameron

One of the really fun parts of working with glass is the moment when you open up the cooled kiln. The pieces go into the kiln and all sorts of happy accidents and mysterious reactions happen in the intense heat - colors deepen, edges soften, shapes shift. It takes from an hour to several hours to fire a load of pendants depending on which kiln I use. After the firing is complete, I have to let the kiln cool before opening, that takes another 8 hours or so. Saturday, I created a big batch and fired them in my biggest kiln. It was like opening gifts on Christmas morning when I got to open the lid this morning. Below are pictures of the pieces inside the kiln and then some close-ups of the finished pendants.


 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment