Thursday, March 10, 2011

Another Fine Mess

That's another fine mess you've gotten me into.
Oliver Hardy

This is a photo of my dining room table in a mid-creative-frenzy. I create art like I cook, every single pot must be used and piled around the kitchen before I'm finished. Tim says I cook until somebody dies...

I have always wished I was neater in my creative moments. I often imagine that if I had my own little studio space complete with organizational bins and neat cubbyholes, I would by extension be neat and organized.

The older I get, the less I believe this.

There's is something about making a huge mess that works for me. The project bogs down when I stop to put away a tube of paint or organize my tools. So it's full steam ahead, tools flying, kilns firing, chaos.

I truly appreciate my family for tolerating having no dining room among other things. I do attempt to keep everything confined to this space, although some of it occasionally leaks into other areas of the house.

And, I do tend to straighten it up between projects...it helps me to at least start with things a little neater.

What about you? Do you like to work neat, or are you as messy as I am? Any secrets to being organized that you think might help someone as hopeless as me?




www.etsy.com/shop/leisaworks

3 comments:

  1. 'Tis a lovely mess, indeed, Leisa. I'm all for it, since that's where your masterpieces emerge from = )
    I can make a world-class creative mess, myself, but have yet to produce the likes of your art -- it's not about the mess, apparently.
    Keep doing what you're doing. It's a glorious thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an enabled, Susan : ) I've seen some of your creative endeavors, and I think you sell yourself short!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, that's enabler, my spell check helps me too much...

    ReplyDelete